Proverbs 28 says: The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion. Proverbs 28:1
If you travel our United States cities you will find churches on most corners, and while they are of different denominations, very few seem to be effective in their teaching, or preaching including those who promote and advocate the True Gospel of Jesus Christ!
Some churches will hold "revival meetings" and however well meant... there is no "real change" that occurs within or outside of the church. These attempts are similarly likened to CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) where one tries to revive the heart... and the other the soul!
Larger churches are more likely to endorse and advocate an "entertainment influence" to minister and mollycoddle their parishioners, all the while they are soft selling and accruing great profits.
Many say we are only "one generation away" from a complete breakdown and final extinction. So... what is the church of Jesus Christ to do??
Well, in my thinking it's time for bona fide Christians to "wake up" and it's time to "get up" instead of just attending church to warm the pews. Complacency and comfort are replacing and "hindering the work of God", so we must go back to the Bible for the answers if we truly want to see "a move of God"!!!
I went to the book of Acts, there I find a rich theology of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was given to us as a tool that enables and empowers the church of Jesus Christ to live lives that are totally transformed and able to evangelize, spreading the gospel to the world we live in.
In just the first chapter, we find this promise and the words of Jesus: "But, ye shall 'receive power', after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8
While, the Holy Spirit will facilitate us, there is also scripture verses that give us instructions to accomplish God's work in our very own heart and lives. These scriptures have three key words that every Christian will need to proclaim the "Kingdom of God" and to "be a light" in this world, and they are:
- Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago.
- The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has a fixed day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead. Acts 17:30,31
- These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary, the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren. Acts 1:14
- And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. Acts 4:31
- Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marveled; and they took knowledge of them, that they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. Acts 4:13
- But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the Name of Jesus. Acts 9:27
The Word of God needs to be bursting, exploding and so illuminated in each of us, that we break through the apathy and indifference, totally empowered by the Holy Spirit to be witnesses for Jesus Christ in a lost world!
The book of ACTS calls for ACTion if we are Christians! If we have the Holy Spirit indwelling us, there is no reason for us not to be doing greater works and miracles than those that were done in Jesus' day.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, "He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. John 14:12
So, Jesus explained to his disciples that he would baptize them with the Holy Spirit to empower them as his witnesses. He indicated that the Spirit would act in them as he had acted through so many others that we read about in the Old Testament and, he would give them the words to speak to those who opposed them.
If the church of Jesus Christ continues to be ineffective in evangelizing this world, it will die. Jesus' heart was laid out for us on an old rugged cross... so we could spread the Gospel and reach the lost!
Let us then... REPENT of our apathy... PRAY for the Holy Spirit to be revived in us... and be BOLD witnesses for the Lord Jesus Christ!
© Judy A. Weltin
You are welcomed to copy, paste and share my blog. You may not use it for monetary purposes or profits. Freely you have received... Freely Give. Thank you!