It is Tuesday again... and I've already taken my chemotherapy. I am trying very hard to be positive about these drugs and praying that God will use them to help me. As I was praying, I thought of how God has always protected me and my family... especially on July 12, 1995....
It was our 20th Wedding Anniversary we had a house fire and lost everything... or almost everything. It was the early morning hours and my husband and I woke up to what is everyones fear, our dogs barking and the smell of smoke. We right away opened our bedroom door and the bedroom across from ours was on fire and part of the hallway. While I called 911 my husband went to get my youngest son out of the house. We got our dogs and then we also left the house.
I remember the first responder came in his little pickup truck... and as our home burned, I kept telling him we needed fire engines. I understood that we lived in a very rural area, a top a mountain in Pennsylvania near the Poconos, but all I could see was everything going up in flames. The fire engines finally arrived and began pumping water into the house. With the fire finally out, we gathered ourselves and began to think about what we were going to do. We were told we could go back into the house and gather anything important like our insurance papers but then we needed to leave because the fire chief told us there were "hotspots" and it could reignite.
We got our little safe with all the important papers and left to go to my moms small apartment. From there we would decide what to do. As we called around to hotels for a place to stay that night we were told that they were basically all full because Nascar was in town for the Pocono Races that weekend. We did find a very sympathetic manager who said he could put us in a room they were remodeling. So that is where we were going to spend the night.
We were just about to go to the hotel when we got a phone call from a friend that our home was smoking again… so back to our home we went. The fire company was right behind us and this time they flooded our home with water. We couldn’t get back in for several days, but when we did we had the shock of our lives. You can’t believe what fire and water will do to destroy things.
My husband and I walked through our home and we didn’t say a word. We just looked at all the damage in unbelief. Basically what the fire hadn’t ruined the water did. When I walked into the dining and kitchen area I noticed that all the magnets I had collected over the years and kept on my refrigerator were gone. They had all melted away… and then I looked closer and there was just one little smokey magnet left. It said, “In Everything Give Thanks!”
Wow… just one little magnet that didn’t melt away and with such a profound message. After all we did just lose things, and we had all gotten out safely. I took the magnet off the refrigerator and tucked it into my purse. This is the first magnet that would eventually go up on another refrigerator. God had just reminded me of what was truly important and right there I bowed my head and said, “Thank you Lord for your constant protection!”