O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. PSALMS 95:1
MUSIC NEEDS TO GLORIFY AND HONOR THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!
A BLAST FROM THE PAST
From the moment I hear the first few notes of a song that I have loved forever or even despised, I am transported back to the place and time in my life when I first heard that particular song. If it's a song that I've loved, my mood changes instantly to happiness and sweet memories, on the other hand, if it's a song that I don't like, my mood changes just as quickly to a sullen state of mind.
How does that happen? How can I hear a tune from half a century ago and feel the melody so profoundly that I am carried back to a juncture in time that will changes my state of mind and emotions so quickly??
A POWERFUL MIND AND A JINGLE
Think about it however you may, but a silly jingle or a dumb song can be downright aggravating when it won't leave your mind! If music is a sizable part of your life, you probably have experienced a song that is just stuck on the replay switch in your brain.
Some of my friends say that when it happens to them that a particular jingle or song can be played over and over in their memory, for days. This usually temporary condition is called, "involuntary musical imagery" by scientists who study and
try to explain why it happens!
I don't need to know why it happens, I just wish it wouldn't happen with some music! Scientists do tell us that the cure is to take a moment to "finish the entire song" so your brain will finally move on, I guess I'll have to try that the next time it happens.
SIMPLY PUT MUSIC IS POWERFUL
- Music can calm the chaos within
- Music helps us work through problems
- Music helps motivate and inspire
- Music affects our breathing
- Music can reduce blood pressure
- Music reduces pain
- Music sparks our creativity
- Music sways our moods
- Music improves exercise
- Music stimulates memories
MUSIC MOVES US
I have had days when I just didn't want to do anything and that's okay - ONCE IN A WHILE! However, if it persists and that fog you're in just won't clear "TURN ON THE MUSIC!"
If your mood is somber or downcast, don't let it turn into despair or deep depression, "PLAY SOME MUSIC!" Music helps turn things around that you don't even understand the
reasons why you feel the way you do!
Our music choices tell us "who we are, where we are in life and even what are values and morals are!" As Christians, we must be careful about the lyrics and rhythms we take in!
Yes! God has given us the beauty and wonder of awesome music however, the enemy is in the habit of taking what God has given us and "twisting it into evil!" Lyrics that can be found in some forms of compositions are downright awful these days.
Don't listen to words in some songs that encourage violence or hatred towards one another! And it's not just in worldly music, you can find "Christian artists" and I say that loosely because they have tempos and lyrics that will "bring you down, while also injecting evil" into your mind!
Remember, our brains do not have a "delete button," even if you forget the song, it is somewhere in a hidden file of your mind! Don't be surprised when it releases the negativity in your personality and you can't figure out why! You may not even know where it's coming from!
Remember, if a song promotes evil, worldliness, has bad lyrics, changes your actions and/or your speech, if the music swears or scorns the Lord, it is not music a Christian should be listening to! The Holy Spirit will prick your heart when you are listening to something that is just plain wrong!
FASCINATING MUSIC QUOTES
- "God created us so that the joy He has in Himself might be ours. He celebrates with infinite and eternal intensity the beauty of who He is as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And we've been created to join the party!" Sam Storms
- "Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing!" James 5:13
- "No created powers can mar our Lord Jesus' music, nor spill our song of joy. Let us then be glad and rejoice in the salvation of our Lord." Samuel Rutherford
- "The best, most beautiful, and most perfect way that we have of expressing a sweet concord of mind to each other is by music!" Jonathan Edwards
- "Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world!" Martin Luther
- Godly music inspires us in hard times and it gives us God's pure joy as it lifts us our spirits!
- Make sure when you listen to music you use it to "worship the Lord."
- Godly music is hopeful, joyful, promising, supporting and reassuring to Christian Believers!
- Godly Music ALWAYS GLORIFIES the LORD JESUS CHRIST!
PASSING GOD'S MUSIC TEST
If you're not sure about the music that you listen to is honoring and glorifying to God -- Use God's Word, after all the Bible is our handbook on how to live our lives. So I'll give you the following verse to see if your music passes the test:
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things! PHILIPPIANS 4:8